Popover are similar to tooltip but varies in the fact that Popover can have multi line information about the target element.
GEL provides designers with a popover that is displayed next to the help icon.
- Popover should be used in conjunction with the help icon to provide extended information for the target element.
- The informatin provided in a popover is not necessarily critical for the user to act upon.
- Popover is an actionable overlay, therefore requiring user to click the icon to dipslay the popover.
- Popover can be dismissed by either clicking the close icon that comes with the component or when clicking outside.
When to use
- When you don’t want to lose the context but still would like to provided extended information to the user.
- Should be used to provide short summaries about the target element.
When not to use
- Use tooltip if its not multiline and requires no extra information.
- Consider using modal if you are displaying critical information that require action to complete the task.
Popover component is specific to GEL only and is not available in PrimeVue.